"It's a little self indulgent..." - My mom
"After I read a sentence, I get mad at myself for caring what you're doing." -Karl Dusen

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Ouch! My friggin' back hurts!

The problem with running as long of a workout as I did on Sunday is that I ran 88 percent of a marathon in the mountains and then had to deal with the consequences. Even with the cooldown figured in, I was on pace for a 2:41, an eight minute "PR." It didn't help that the climbing and dropping added to the wear on my body and that soon after finishing the run we jumped in the car for the trip home to Richmond and shortly after that I rode a bus for 2.5 hours. Would it have killed me to take an ice bath when I got back? So now I feel like I would if I ran most of a hilly marathon a few days ago...
Back in northern Virginia, I woke up at 6:45 Monday to take the Metro to Alexandria for a run with Laura O'Hara. We ran a simple 8.5 mile loop, but my tight back and sore rest of my body made it a rough effort. After a few miles, I loosened up and felt better. Also, I came across a bathroom. We ran about 8:00 pace, and that was fine with me, it was rough, I tell 'ya.
I tried an evening run to get another eight miles in, but five steps in I figured it was more trouble than it was worth.
I slept in Tuesday, my first day of work this week, as is my custom, and waited until I got home to run. I managed to coax Alex out for a part of my 12 miles. We ran north of 8:00 miles for the first four miles, which was fine with me because I was still sore. After he headed home after four miles, I cut down to 7:20s and finished a Fineview Park, which I extended to South and Broad. It was hot, I was thirsty.
Wednesday's morning run was over before I got across Haycock. I'm only doing one workout this week, so I guess I will save my effort today for it and go after these 1000s or two miles or whatever we're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment