"It's a little self indulgent..." - My mom
"After I read a sentence, I get mad at myself for caring what you're doing." -Karl Dusen

Friday, March 5, 2010

Morning runs

My plan for a morning workout on Thursday was foiled. I got to the track at George Mason High School at about 6:25, flats in hand, ready to do a mile workout- 4x5:16 with 400m recovery. The gates were locked. Son....of...a...bitch..... I looked around, there had to be another way in. A high fence, but a large pile of snow abutted it. Maybe I should jump over the fence? Then I saw the barbed wire on top. No, I wasn't leaping over any fences. I turned around and headed to the road mile loop on which I had done a workout 36 hours before. I'd give it a shot. Sure I didn't know the 400 marks, but it would be better than nothing. I changed into my flats and got ready to run, feeling colder than the 33 degree morning. I started on one interval, and within 46 seconds, I felt drained. I stopped, turned around and put my trainers back on. I wasn't going to make any progress forcing it. I tossed my shoes onto my porch and went out and ran five miles.
That afternoon, I finished up my 10 miles for the day with three laps around the Capitol. I wasn't terribly inventive.
The next morning, however, I woke up early to run to work. It was a nice change from the trip I made the other way in the snow storm. It was 12 miles, and a gradual downhill, though the Custis Trail is pretty undulating. Once I got into the city, it became less of a medium long run and more of a stop-and-go with the traffic lights. When I got to the office, though, I was happy to have my run over for the day. I think I'll do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment