"It's a little self indulgent..." - My mom
"After I read a sentence, I get mad at myself for caring what you're doing." -Karl Dusen

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Winter Thaw


I met up with Hans, Timmy Wu, Brandon G and Jeremy Snodgrass for a run at North Park- two five-mile loops around the lake. We ran the same course (though it's hard not to do so) as the annual Spring Thaw race in late February. The name is deceptive, since the race is in the winter and the ice rarely thaws for it.
I had a great race there in 2007, but less-than-stellar results the last two years. Beth Reinhart accelerated my cynicism about the race, saying she could run there any time she wants for free, and it's true. A lot of other races involve closing roads and running somewhere you usually don't, but the Spring Thaw involves none of that. It's a pretty steep registration fee to run a race like that. The t-shirts are also so ugly I usually only wear them under other clothes,and the sleeves are too short.
Regular runs there, however, are great. It's a rolling loop and vehicle traffic is light and there are almost always a lot of runners, walkers and bikers out there.
Jeremy said his Garmin had us at about 6:55 pace, which isn't too bad, given the amount of steak I ate at my dad's the night before. Delicious.
The rain yesterday did not freeze again, as I had feared, and it was about 42 when we came around for the second loop. Most of the snow had melted, making it an easier run that I had expected and putting me in a good mood. I really don't care much for snow.

1 comment:

  1. I love this sentence: "The t-shirts are also so ugly I usually only wear them under other clothes,and the sleeves are too short."

    I must agree that the sleeves are disproportionately short (the torso part of the shirt is also disproportionately wide - at least for me) but I actually did really like last year's shirt design with the sad melting snow man, haha.

    ReplyDelete